Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Training of a Physician

Another issue I'd like to explore in this blog is the extraordinarily fucked-up journey that I took to become a physician.  Seems like popular culture is so inundated with depictions of doctors.  House, ER, Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, Mehmet Oz... on and on and on.  I don't really see it documented the path that I had to take.  Well, maybe The House of God documented some of the horror correctly.  

So I think this might be a good place to tell some of my stories.  For whatever reason.  

And I'll start with an introduction to my roommate for most of med school.  We'll call him DT for day trader.  The man failed his pediatrics rotation as a med student because he was too busy day trading, so I think it's a good name for him. 

DT has problems. I mean, but we all have problems. It seems that people view physicians with such an aura of other-worldly greatness sometimes. We're just as full of shit as everyone else. I started out knowing this because my family is all doctors, so I never had an overabundance of reverence for profession. Anyways, here's a little introduction to DT. He lived on my couch for a year, then when I got a house, he wanted to live in my tool-shed. DT, prior to meeting me, lived in the student lounge of our medical school. Yes, he was a homeless day trader. And on top of that, he actually did own a house during this time that he partitioned in the most ghetto way imaginable in order to rent out as cubicle sized portions as cut-rate housing. So he was a homeless, slumlord, day trader. 

I am not making any of this up. This man is now a physician in New York. 

Anyways, more stories to come. I just wanted to make a quick introduction to the kind of stories I want to tell here.

No comments:

Post a Comment