Thursday, July 2, 2009

Skinny White

So I don't particularly have much in common with most doctors. I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine about how as a medical student and how even now as a resident, people would come to give lectures or talks and occasionally remark about how as a group, we as physicians must be such great future-thinkers and gratification-delayers. My entire youth it was widely regarded that I'd never live past the age of 21 due to my complete and utter lack of regard for my own safety and well-being combined with my penchant for extremely dangerous, self-destructive behaviour. I mean, if you think about it; isn't everything dangerous by necessity fun? (okay, there are exceptions, but seriously, think about it for a moment)

So that brings me to Skinny White (SW). He's Irish, he's probably the palest person I know this side of albinism, and he's about 6'3", 135 pounds. I once convinced this guy to do some push ups with me and I couldn't stop laughing for 15 minutes. So yeah, skinny and white, Skinny White. I remember first meeting this guy during intern orientation. I had on an oxford shirt and a necktie, trying to keep up appearances. He was wearing a T-shirt with the logo of an underground techno music club. Not long after, a bunch of us about-to-be interns, headed out for drinks. One by one, the flat-leavers left us and SW and I were the last 2 men left standing. We ended up walking around Brooklyn that night, having a drink at every bar we could find. I don't especially recall the cab ride home too well, but I did recall thinking that I was probably going to have to make friends with this guy. A common occurence between the last 2 people left standing after a hard night's drinking.

I would also soon discover, that both SW and I had previously trained in the arts of turntablism and also we had both at points in our lives made money busking through our respective juggling acts. I mean, how often does that happen that 2 physicians meet who also have extensive experience in the world of house, techno, turntablism and juggling.

Later on, ask we worked in the hospital further, we also both got reputations for being very smart and very arrogant. Because if you know something that the other people on your team don't, I guess you're not supposed to bring in the relevant research and give power point presentations and try to educate the rest of the team about the things that you know. Because that's just the arrogance running out of control right there.

In any case, you can imagine the hi-jinks SW and I got ourselves into. We were both, young, single, and brand new to NYC. The specific hi-jinks I will leave for another time. In terms of women, my plan was to just go around and knock out some hood-rats, you know; boom-boom-boom. SW was looking for something a little deeper and more meaningful, I think.

The person he ended up with was Worried Girl (WG). This name may not be totally fair because she really is so much more and I really do love her to pieces. However, to me at least, her defining characteristic is that she gets wound up over certain things, certain things about which SW and I would never give a second thought. For instance SW once lost his phone and because WG couldn't reach him, she obviously asummed that he was dead or kidnapped or something so she called the police and put out an APB to get the guys that took out SW. That was a tough day for SW, especially because it was my ass that had to go bail him out of jail. But whatever, we can laugh about it now.

(most of that above paragraph was fictional, if you were keeping score)

Anyways, that's the brief intro to SW and the even briefer intro to WG.

2 comments: