Sunday, June 21, 2009

Driving

Another thing that I realized in going back to Southern California was just how much I missed driving a car. And it's not for the convenience of having a car and being able to move people and stuff around. It's not even for the visceral thrill of throttle response and body roll from a high apex turn. It's more to say I miss the meditative experience of driving.

I got to do a little bit of road tripping while out and California and it made me realize how peaceful, introspective and thoughtful I become when in road trip mode. Something about the right proportion of conscious and subconscious activity that it takes to drive on wide open freeways that frees the rest of my mind to achieve true clarity of thought. The kind of mindset that allows me to truly process and prioritize the feelings and memories in my life.

I hear that there are those who practice meditation and can reach this state just with sitting and perhaps chanting or listening to some new-age type records. Too bad for me, it's only come with driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment