Monday, June 15, 2009

What I did on my summer vacation (part 1)

So New Yorkers typically don't really respect you if you're not from New York, the exception I've noticed is if you're from California. Which is where I'm from and it's where I went on my little one week off, last week. My usual trips home, I see my parents, I see my core group of friends, I usually try and get a game of spades going. However, on this particular trip back home I got to see Jelly Bean (JB), someone who until this past week I'd only seen twice in the past 7 years. And I was really looking forward to seeing her. I really loved JB. Well, still do actually. We met back in undergrad. I was an actor, she was an artist, we were tight. We had so many good times as brash young kids with fake IDs and access to way too many drugs. What I've learned about drugs is this. Everybody has their limit. I think she hit hers a little before I hit mine. And that's where I lost her. I would eventually hit mine in medical school (evidently my limit was quite high), but that's another story for another time. So I guess that's the ultra-abridged version of the first part of the story of JB and me, though volumes more could be written just on the 2 years we had back in undergrad.

Anyways, due to a rough couple of months for JB, including some scary emergency abdominal surgery, I got to go and visit her relatively recuperated but still school-less and job-less. Which made for an especially great time since most of my friends are understandably working stiffs and can't really hang out all-day, every-day. The first day I went to visit, we met up and had sushi for lunch. Ordered 2 rolls but couldn't even finish those as we instead proceeded to drink a couple of pitchers of japanese beer and a couple of bottles of sake on top of that. Then we went to the market and got a fifth of 1800 tequila and a handle of cuervo. I was just going to get the fifth at first but at that point during the day, a fifth just felt so insubstantial in my hand. We then play Wii bowling for shots and beers, took a nap, then went out for wine and pizza. It was a great day.

I want to write more about all the things I thought about during that trip but I think this is a good enough intro. Basically the first thing that happened is that I pretty much spent 3 days straight, drinking all day, everyday. And on the 4th day I felt a clarity of mind that I had not felt in some time. I'm not saying that doing what I did would be a good idea for everybody. But it worked pretty well for me.

1 comment:

  1. noodle salad. i just noticed. it just hit me. the thing about drugs that i've learned: it's never just drugs. it's never just booze. it's never just razors and nightmares and tears and insomnia. it's almost always all of the above (or a good combination thereof)
    don't think you lost jb to any one thing. except maybe herself at that time. but it's so good to know that you guys have come back (sushi and tequila sound like a good start)
    i guess i should put all of this (and then some) in my blog instead of here.

    ReplyDelete