Monday, May 4, 2009

Hippie Moms part 2

"The greatest happiness of life it the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."
-Victor Hugo

"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all out tasks, the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation."
-Rainer Maria Rilke

There are times where I start thinking about love. Interesting concept right? Bordering on irrational concept if you think about it too hard. But whatever it is, I know this; love is very, very good. And to me, Hippie Moms (we'll call her HM now) is love. Or maybe that's just what she represents to me. It doesn't matter. HM showed me what all good mothers should exude, and that is unconditional love. No matter how badly I fucked up, now matter what shape I was in, I felt I could go to HM and it would be okay. And since it was okay, it made me free to battle my lot in life rather than just climb into bed, pull the covers over my eyes and be bulldozed aside by the wrecking ball of fate. There are so very many times I would have just given up and quit if not for HM and the many ways she would remind me that she loved me and believed in me.

At this point, I just have to point out the differences between HM and myself. We were both well known medical students approaching legendary status. She was well known for being smart, working hard, and having a Mohandas Ghandi level of compassion for those around her. I was well known for being smart, being almost always completely drunk or stoned, and throwing temper tantrums like a child when upset.

You might sort of see where this mother-child relationship evolved and at the same time be kind of amazed that we would get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment